Mega Vinyl & CD Fair, April 13 & 14, 2019 | Jaarbeurs Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reggae fever during the 51st Mega Vinyl & CD Fair.
On Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 April, the worldwide feast in the field of pop music will take place at the Jaarbeurs Utrecht, the Netherlands: the Mega Record & CD Fair. This semi-annual event is regarded as the biggest record fair in the world by pop connoisseurs, collectors, DJs, fans and music journalists. Last November the Financial Times (UK) called this event ’The Largest Vinyl Convention on Earth’. Twice a year thousands of crate diggers from all over the world come to Utrecht. At the more than 500 exhibitors, the collected pop history of the past sixty years is displayed in the form of LPs, singles, maxi singles, CDs and DVDs. There are also many pop-related items, such as books, photos and magazines. There is, as always, an entertaining program with signing sessions, vinyl and CD presentations, live performances and deejay sets. The permanent exhibition during this event is curated by Aad Brakus and pays attention to the Jamaican cultural heritage recently announced by Unesco: Reggae music.
Jamaican cultural heritage highlighted at the 51st Mega Record and Cd Fair.
In November 2018 Unesco, the educational, scientific and cultural organization of the United Nations, added reggae to its list of cultural institutions that deserve protection and preservation. Reggae is more than Jamaica's national music. It is a social force that serves the full cultural needs of the Jamaicans, both in the cerebral, political, sensual and spiritual sense.
In Jamaica, some people say that reggae music is the vocal equivalent or The Talking Gleaner of the Jamaican daily newspaper The Gleaner.
Vinyl collection Aad (Dr. Buster Dynamite) Brakus contains over 45,000 reggae albums
In the Netherlands, one of the largest (vinyl) collection of reggae music on earth can be found. The vinyl collection of an authority in this area Aad Brakus (The Hague) consists of more than 45,000 albums. During the fair, Buster will exhibit the 100 most special records from his collection.
Ever since he grew up as a child in his grandma’s café with reggae records in the jukebox - think of Jimmy Cliff with Vietnam or Desmond Dekker with The Israelites - Aad lives reggae
Aad Brakus en Lloyd Daley
Launch CD box Dutch Beat Nuggets, Group 1850 & Reality/Solat
Centertainment launches the Dutch Beat Nuggets CD box with book during the fair. The box contains a collection of unknown or lesser known beat songs by Dutch bands from the sixties and seventies. Around 25 musicians from different bands will be present for a meet & greet. In addition, Centertainment is launching a new Group 1850 and Q65 CD box with a very special guest. And a new Vengeance CD box with, among others, Arjan (Ayreon) Lucassen will see the light of day at the fair for the first time.
VOYAGE 31 Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson in The Netherlands
On 12 april 2019 Permafrost Publishers will be releasing VOYAGE 31: PORCUPINE TREE EN STEVEN WILSON IN NEDERLAND. This coffee table book (160 pages) written by journalist Wouter Bessels chronicles the traces that Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree have left in The Netherlands. From the very first Porcupine Tree concert on mainland Europe to Wilsons most current solo shows.
Other activities during the fair:
- Lance Barresi aka DJ Brown Acid (Saturday between 3 & 4 pm), co-owner of L.A./ Chicago retailer Permanent Records has shown incredible persistence in tracking down a stellar collection of rare singles from the 60s and 70s for the growing compilation series 'The Trip'. Partnered with Daniel Hall of RidingEasy Records, the two have assembled a selection of songs that’s hard to believe have remained unheard for so long. ”I essentially go through hell and high water just to find these records”, Barresi says. ”Once I find a record worthy of tracking, I begin the (sometimes) extremely harduous process of contacting the band members and encouraging them to take part. Daniel and I agree that licensing all the tracks we’re using for Brown Acid is best for everyone involved”, rather than simply bootlegging the tracks. When all of the bands and labels haven’t existed for 30-40 years or more, tracking down the creators gives all of these tunes a real second chance at success. ”There’s a long list of songs that we’d love to include”, Barresi says. ”But we just can’t track the bands down. I like the idea that Brown Acid is getting so much attention, so people might reach out to us”.
- DJ Andhika Gautama - Westside MuzeeQ from Bali, Indonesia will showcase his Indonesian Rare Groove Vinyl Records that consist a mixture of Psychedelic Funk Rock. The selection are from the Late 60’s to mid 70’s and mainly out print music that has not been re-release in any format until now. A true gem for any World Music or Asian Groove Lover.
As an avid Record Collector Since the age of 8 years old, he is a fan of Funk, Soul & Classic Rock as his main Genre. He spins and partakes regularly for "Spin Sugar Bali" a Vinyl Community Based which conducts a weekly Analogue Soiree. He created Westside MuzeeQ initially as an Independent Online Record Store, for music lovers seeking music in the Funk & Soul Genre, but eventually branch out as a stage name during is Vinyl Sets and performance. Westside MuzeeQ is currently archiving Rare Indonesian Vinyl and regularly promoting the collections to the public’s ears.
DJ Andhika Gautama from Westside MuzeeQ (Indonesia) will be playing rare Indonesian psychedelic funk rock vinyl from the 60’s and 70’s. Some really hippy funky shit.
- Centertainment presents on Saturday an album launching with autograph session by Dutch Jazz-formation Reality/Solat. Out of the ashes of Eddy Veldman’s band Reality rose a new band called Solat with singer Billy Jones. They toured extensively in Europe and recorded two singles: You're Gonna Miss Me (1976) and Change The World (1977). International jazz giants like Art Blakey, Herbie Hancock and Marcus Miller visited their gigs and joined the band afterwards with jam-sessions. Later Solat joined Hans Dulfer & the Perikels to record the hitsingle Red Red Libanon.
- Also on Saturday Centertainment will launch an 8cd box called Dutch Beat Nuggets. Meet & greet around 25 musicians from different bands featuring on this box.
- Shandon Sahm, longtime drummer of the Meatpuppets and son of famous TexMex musician Doug Sahm (Sir Douglas Quintet/Texas Tornadoes) launches new EP and will perform songs written by his dad on Saturday.
- Omega Auction (UK) Saturday at 1 pm
- The Three Imaginary Boys Pop Quiz on Sunday with loads of free prices like concert-tickets.
- Permafrost Publishers book launching - Voyage 31: Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson In the Netherlands
- Performance and record presentation Sweet Hannah from Utrecht
- Performance and record presentation The Heck at Sunday
Performances 51th Mega Vinyl & CD Fair - April 13 & 14 Jaarbeurs Utrecht
Saturday April 13
Sunday April 14
- 10.00 - 11.00 hours: Opening with DJ Miss Twist
- 11.00 - 12.00 hours: DJ Andhika Gautama Westside MuzeeQ
- 12.00 - 13.00 hours: Launching of Dutch Nuggets & Group 1850 8cdbox plus Reality/Solat
- 13.00 - 14.00 hours: DJ Dr Aad Dynamite Buster
- 13.00 - 14.30 hours: Omega Auction of rare vinyl
- 14.00 - 15.00 hours: Shandon Sahm & Friends Life
- 15.00 - 16.00 hours: Three Imaginary Boys Pop Quiz
- 16.00 - 17.00 hours: DJ Brown Acid Permanent records USA
- 11.00 - 13.00 hours: Opening with DJ Miss Twist
- 12.00 - 13.00 hours: DJ Jan de Kruiff
- 13.00 - 14.00 hours: Sweet Hannah Life
- 14.30 - 15.30 hours: The Heck Life
- 15.30 - 17.00 hours: Closing time with DJ Miss Twist
Mega Record & CD Fair Spring 2019
- Jaarbeurs Utrecht, Jaarbeursplein 6 in Utrecht.
- Saturday April 13 from 9.00 am till 5 pm
- Sunday April 14 from 10.00 am till 5 pm
- Entrance at the cash register: € 14,- (children up to 12 free)
- Website pre sale:€ 12,50