42nd Mega Record & Cd Fair: Funky Vinyl & Secret Sounds
Mega Record & CD Fair November 22 & 23, Jaarbeurs Utrecht the Netherlands
November 22 & 23, 2014 the Jaarbeurs Convention centre in Utrecht will host the 42nd edition of the Mega Record & CD Fair. An event that in the past 22 years has enjoyed international acclaim and made its name as the place to be for music fans, crate diggers, deejays and vinyl lovers. Packed with exhibitions, live performances, book signings and over 500 dealers from all over the world the fair offers the greatest choice of vinyl, cd’s and pop memorabilia. Don’t be surprised if you bump into artists searching for their own original productions. Some of the highlights of this edition will be an exhibition of funky vinyl covers and the reunion of the Dutch band Secret Sounds.
Biggest choice and most impressive music assortment in the world
Over 35.000 visitors travel to Utrecht from all over the world this weekend to take part in this massive cult event. The resurgence of vinyl is unprecedented and uniquely popular worldwide, recently the New York Times published an article about this phenomenon and the fair in Utrecht. The Mega Record & CD Fair takes place at the same time as the International Collectors Fair, together they form a huge cult event taking place in the equivalent space of 10 football pitches.
Funky Vinyl: Sly & the Family Stone, George Clinton with performance Seven Eleven
An exhibition curated by twin collectors Edwin and Arno Konings showing never seen before vinyl of these legendary masters of funk accompanied with a performance by Hollands longest running funk band Seven Eleven. This on the back of the recently published scrap books of both artists.
Reunion & première Secret Sounds
Performance by this Dutch band from the early eighties and first day release of the 11 CD-Box Secret Sounds – Complete Remasters. The box contains all the albums ever made including never before released songs. Afterwards all the band original members will autograph the cd for fans.
Le Guess Who? Festival
During the same weekend as the Mega Record & CD Fair, Le Guess Who? Festival will also take place in the city centre of Utrecht. Le Guess Who? is a four-day festival that combines a top-notch collection of today’s burgeoning talent with legendary, one-of-a-kind acts to create an atmosphere that electrifies the city. This year, the festival takes place November 20-23. More information Le Guess Who?
Book premiers, vinyl presentations, live auction, guest performances, autograph sessions and pop quiz
– Record label Centertainment will launch new productions by Dutch bands like Trace and Normaal plus a meet & greet with the TeeSet to celebrate their new box set Mythology. Author Jos van Zoelen will sign his book André Hazes en ik.
– Wreckless Eric and Sterling Roswell perform Sunday between 12.00 and 13.30 hours
– Omega Auctions (UK) will auction some 100 music related items live at the fair on Saturday. Rare concert posters, music memorabilia and vinyl will be on view in a special area. Click here for the complete auction catalogue.
– BR Music and Universal Nederland will launch new productions with musicians like Rudy Bennet (Motions), ZZ & the Maskers and others. Johan Derksen will sign Dercksen on the road – Pioniers van de Nederpop. Johan Derksen and Rudy Bennett (The Motions) will sign Saturday between 13.30 and 14.00 hours at the stall of Universal
– Meet & greet Dutch band De Staat who will perform on Sunday to promote their new EP on vinyl and CD.
– Metallica Vinyl Art exhibit, art made with vinyl by visual artist Henk Zielman.
– Ex VPRO DJ Jaap Boots will present his book Donderweg, Mijn leven in de fast lane van de popmuziek & Marc Stakenburg (ex radio 3) his book De Big Bang van de Popmuziek.
– On Sunday the pop quiz compiled by the Three Imaginary Boys will take place. A free quiz with lots of prizes like free concert tickets.
– Disco Patrick & Patrick Vogt will present both days their new book Disco, an Encyclopaedic Guide to the Cover Art of Disco Records.
– Robert Haagsma, author of the book Passion for Vinyl will also sign at the fair.
– DJ Eddy de Clercq’s presents Township Jive & Kwela Jazz Vol. 3 CD, exciting Jive & Jazz from South Africa.
Mega Record & CD Fair Autumn 2014
• Jaarbeurs Utrecht, Jaarbeursplein 6 in Utrecht.
• Saturday November 22 (9.00 am till 5 pm) and on Sunday November 23 (10.00 am till 5 pm).
• Entrance at the cash register: € 13,- (children up to 12 free), pre-sale through the website: € 11,50.
• More information, dealers list, images and the showroom on: www.recordplanet.nl